Having the Schengen visa allows you to travel freely throughout the Schengen zone for up to three months.
Are you itching to visit different culture-rich European countries? I totally hear you! If you’re a Philippine passport holder and are wondering where to start, then you’ve come to the right place. Here’s a quick guide on how to apply for a Schengen visa, specifically at the French Embassy in Singapore.
Which embassy to choose?
- You can apply at the embassy of the country that is your point of entry.
- If visiting multiple countries, you can apply at the embassy of the country that is your main destination – meaning the country where you will be staying the most number of days.
- If you will be staying the same amount of time in two or more Schengen countries, you can apply at any of their embassies.
Submit your application through the France-Visas website
- Create an account on the France-Visas website.
- Fill out the visa application form.
- When done, you will be able to save the application form in PDF format which you then need to print out.
- For short stay visa applications, you must lodge your application 15 days minimum before the scheduled date of departure.
Schedule your appointment
- You must go down to the VFS Global office to submit the requirements and have your biometric taken, which is strictly by appointment only.
- Create an account on the VFS Global website and choose your preferred date and time.
List of Requirements
Some requirements will vary from embassy to embassy. This list is specifically for applications at the French Embassy in Singapore. They will only accept your application if your main destination is either France or Austria.
- Original and photocopy (only the identity page)
- The passport should be issued less than 10 years ago and valid for at least 3 months after the departure from Schengen states.
- It should contain at least 2 blank visa pages.
- Photocopy of previous Schengen visas, as well as the entry and exit stamps (if any).
- One passport-size photo pasted on the application form.
- The photo should be in colour and has a white background.
- Must be recent, clearly showing the face, the forehead hairline and ears.
- Check out this file for sample photos.
C. Identification Card
- Original and photocopy: Employment Pass / S Pass / Dependant Pass / Student Pass / Work Permit / PR card with re-entry permit
- Note: Only PRs or Employment Pass / S Pass / Dependant Pass / Student Pass / Work Permit holders may apply at embassies here in Singapore. Tourists or temporary visitors should apply at their home country.
D. Financial Guarantee
- A letter from your employer in Singapore mentioning your annual salary, your position, date of employment and dates of leave.
- If you are self-employed, the local company biz-file issued by ACRA.
- If you are a student, an enrollment letter from your school or university.
- Your bank statements for the last 3 months showing the balance, the transactions, your name and account number. E-statements are accepted.
- Your payslips for the last 3 months.
F. Your flight and accommodation
- A print-out of the confirmed flight booking(s) going to the Schengen country and back to Singapore.
- A print-out of the confirmed hotel reservation(s) for the whole length of your stay in the Schengen area.
- The dates should match what’s indicated in the letter from your employer.
G. Travel Insurance
- Your insurance must provide coverage of €30.000 minimum including medical repatriation, and emergency and/or hospital treatment.
- Bonus points if it also provides Covid-19 coverage.
- Print out the pages where it states your name and dates of coverage. No need to print the whole policy.
- The visa fee is €80, or approximately SGD 115.
- The VFS service fee is €35, or approximately SGD 55. This already includes the courier service for the return of your passport.
- Both fees are payable in SGD, and are non-refundable be it you’re approved or not. You can pay by cash or card at the VFS Global office.
Track your application
The processing time takes between 2 to 15 working days once your documents have been received by the consular authority. You will be notified by email of any status changes to your application, or you can also use the VFS online application tracking tool if you want to track manually.
VFS Global Office
79 Anson Road, #15-01
Needless to say, you should properly fill out the application form, submit complete requirements, and be on time for your appointment! If you have further questions, let me know in the comments section. All the best with your application! 🙂