Japan is a top travel destination for many Filipinos. Here's an easy guide on how to apply for a tourist visa.
As a Philippine passport holder, you would need a visa to enter Japan. If you are a Singapore resident or working here, you can apply at the Embassy of Japan in Singapore. However, they do not accept visa applications from those who are temporary visitors such as tourists, short-term business travelers and foreigners transiting in Singapore. Non-residents of Singapore who require visas to enter Japan must obtain their visas at a Consulate or Embassy of Japan in their home countries.
List of Requirements
This post is specifically about application for a single entry tourist visa for Filipinos living and working in Singapore. The documents required to be submitted may vary according to nationality and purpose of visit, and the Embassy reserves the rights to request for additional documents whenever it deems necessary.
Valid passport (Original)
- Your passport should have at least 2 blank visa pages.
Visa application form (Original)
- Click here to download form.
- Each applicant should completely fill out and sign the form. One of the parents can sign for minors.
Colour photo (Original)
- Photograph should have a light background.
- Taken within the last 6 months.
- Photo should be 4.5cmx4.5cm or 3.5cmx4.5cm in size and pasted on the form.
Certificate of Employment / Student (Original)
- Click here to see an example.
- The letter should be issued by employer / school within the last month from application date.
- Certificate of employment should include issuance date, letterhead with company name, address and contact number, salary, job position, join date, purpose of journey, the party responsible for the travel expenses, and company representative’s signature, name and title.
- There’s no need to submit employment contracts.
- Certificate of student should include issuance date, letterhead with school name, address and contact number, term of enrolment, and school representative’s signature, name and title.
- For self employed: Applicants with a registered business in Singapore may provide a photocopy of the Business Registration Profile from ACRA together with applicant’s personal savings account bank statement.
Bank Statement / Passbook (Photocopy)
- Personal savings accounts showing the account holder’s name, current balance and latest 1 month’s banking transactions.
- E-statements are accepted on the condition that account holder’s name and account number are reflected on the same page.
Flight Booking (Photocopy)
- Reservation or tentative booking issued by airline / travel agent should have passenger’s name, booking number and flight details.
- Booking should be a round trip ticket departing from Singapore.
Identity Card issued by Singapore Government (Photocopy)
- Submit a photocopy (front and back) of Singapore PR I.C., Employment Pass (EP), Work Permit (WP), S-Pass (SP), Dependent Pass (DP), Student Pass (STP), Long-Term Visit Pass
Letter of authorization (Original)
- Required if application is made by a proxy.
- Click here to see an example.
- Arrange documents in the order according to the checklist.
- All documents should be printed or photocopied on A4 paper.
- Separate sets must be submitted for each applicants.
- Do not staple or use pins/paper clips on documents.
Fortunately, getting a temporary visit visa is FREE for Filipinos!
Embassy of Japan in Singapore
16 Nassim Road
Schedule of submission and collection
There is no need to schedule your application in advance! All you have to do is walk-in. The Embassy of Japan is open Mondays-Fridays, except Embassy holidays. Checkout the time window below:
8:30AM – 12:00PM – submission only
12:00PM – 01:30PM – closed for lunch break
1:30PM – 4:00PM – collection only
If all the requirements are met, a visa can be issued after 5 working days normally. Express visa is not available. Passports submitted for visa processing will not be returned during the processing period.
Overall, I must say that this was one of the quickest and easiest visa applications I have done! If you have any questions, let me know in the comments section. Good luck with your application! 🙂